Thursday, July 26, 2012

SOB Dinner - Prolific Smoked Oyster Stew

There are a couple mentions of oysters in the Canon.  In The Sign of Four:

"Only that I insist upon your dining with us. It will be ready in half an hour. I have oysters and a brace of grouse, with something a little choice in white wines. Watson, you have never yet recognized my merits as a housekeeper." 

And, my favorite, from The Dying Detective:

"Indeed, I cannot think why the whole bed of the ocean is not one solid mass of oysters, so prolific the creatures seem."

I used my basic chowder recipe and pureed it, then added smoked oysters at the end.  Why smoked oysters?  Well, it is my opinion that Holmes would smoke anything, so why not!

"He smoked what??"
 
"Are you sure??"
Prolific Smoked Oyster Stew

Oops!  Spoons are out of order.  Use the big one, please!


1/2 lb good quality bacon
1 onion, chopped
1 medium sized potato, chopped
1 cup chopped celery
2 cups chicken broth
2 cups cream (I used part half and half, part whipping cream)
2 tins small smoked oysters

Chop bacon, and fry until crisp.  Add onion and celery and cook until soft. Add potato and chicken broth, and cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until potato is soft.  Remove from heat and add cream.  Blend until smooth.  Return to heat, and heat to just below a simmer.  Add drained oysters and cook just until heated through.  Serve, garnished with a few oyster crackers.

Erik recommended 2011 Guardian Cellars Angel Sauvignon Blanc to go with this.  Okay, he chose all the wines, but I chose him, so I get some credit!


Everyone at the table liked this wine.  Pale in color, but with a wonderful flavor that went perfectly with the soup.  Assertive enough to stand up to the richness of the stew without overwhelming, with a nice acidity that cut the cream.  Beautiful wine, from start to finish.

Tomorrow, the fish.

No comments:

Post a Comment