Wednesday, May 23, 2012

To Celebrate a Book


Entertaining can be so much fun! I’d like to chronicle here a few of my dinner parties, in hopes that it may inspire others.  I’ll explain how I choose menus and decorations to suit the occasion.

To start with, I’ll tell you about a luncheon I gave for a good friend who just had a book republished.  His book, The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes:  The Titanic Tragedy can be purchased here.

It’s fun to start with a theme.  Of course, the two obvious themes here are Sherlock Holmes and the Titanic.  So that is where I started.  I knew I wanted to have a formal menu and setting.  Here’s the menu I came up with:

Menu
April 21, 2012

Mushrooms stuffed with Lobster
Deviled Eggs with Bacon
Delmas Blanquette de Limoux Cuvee Berlene 2007

Creamy Carrot Coconut Soup
2008 Pierre Sparr Pinot Gris Reserve

Gravlax with Cucumber Salad
2009 Cedergreen Cellars Chenin Blanc Old Vine

Grapefruit Star Anise Sorbet

Roast Lamb with Mango Chutney Sauce
Wild Rice Pilaf
Minted Peas
2010 Airfield Estates Runway Syrah

Salad de Menthe
2010 Willow Crest Pinot Gris

Maple Star Anise Mousse with Fresh Strawberries
2005 Chateau d'Arche 'La Perle d'Arche' Sauterne


I like to make individual menus for each person.  They can become a keepsake, and also help to dress the table, as you will see later.  Here’s the menu I created.

 
When I think of the Titanic, I think of the colors red, black and gold.  So that became my color scheme for the menu.  The pen nib and cogs I found in the scrapbooking section of my local craft store, and help to add a bit of a steampunk feel.

Tomorrow I’ll show you the table setting and other decorations, then I’ll take you course by course through the menu.

No comments:

Post a Comment