Thursday, May 24, 2012

Seventh Course - Dessert

Dessert!  Let's hope you saved some room.  A seven course meal can be very filling.  So this dessert, although rich and satisfying, seems so light when you are eating it.  Yummy Maple Star Anise Mousse.

  
I've served this before to accompany baklava in the fall.  You can find the recipe here.  The flavor is phenomenal.  The maple is subtle, and the star anise adds a complexity that is very intriguing.    I wanted to give it a lighter, fresher take for spring, so I layered it with strawberries.  I had never used unflavored gelatin successfully until I tried this recipe, so don't be frightened when you see it listed as an ingredient.  This isn't your grandma's molded  jello salad!  Now I want to try more recipes using it. 

The wine with this course was 2005 Chateau d'Arche 'La Perle d'Arche' Sauterne.



Nice honeyed fruit flavors.  I also served coffee, a nice finish to a meal made fabulous by the company.  Be sure to look for Bill's book, The Further Adventures of Sherlock Holmes: The Titanic Tragedy.  You'll enjoy it!

Next up, dinner with my best friend, her sister Mary and respective husbands.  Mary is an excellent cook, and has even completed the course at Le Cordon Bleu.  Nervous?  Yes!!  I'll let you know how it goes, they are coming this Saturday night.  I hope I have a fun evening planned.  I can't wait to tell you all about it!

No comments:

Post a Comment